09 December 2009

cruel yule

In my wonderful city of Philadelphia, we had our first taste of the white, cold stuff this past weekend. Only a dusting, but with bitter temperatures (it seems to get colder every year, but I think I just forget what "real" cold feels like in the 6 or so months of warmth we get) it felt like we should have gotten much more. Somehow (and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way) when it snows, the cold seems so much more tolerable. Well now it seems that while nearly everyone else in the country has gotten a wonderful winter wonderland of snow, all we got was some stinkin' rain. AND A LOT OF IT AT THAT. Seriously, flooding. Everywhere.
In my five years of being a licensed driver, I've never spent a whole day and night without my car (and I've only had old beat-up cars). It figures that when I finally get a new-new car (okay, it's 2 years old but that is as good as new to me), it gets broken and has to spend the night at the dealership for repairs. I MISS YOU CAR. 
As much as I cherish the Christmas season, being broke really dampens the whole spirit of it all. With moving, tuition deposits, and gift-shopping to empty my bank account, my level of yuletide gusto is at an all-time low. Not even Brenda Lee can pull me out of this funk.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no Scrooge but I could certainly use a Christmas miracle (of cash).
This is my last full week working with my "family".  It will definitely be a difficult one, for sure. As much as I am looking forward to going back to school and starting a new chapter of my life, I will miss my kids more than anything. Wah.
And on that note, a happy Christmas to all, and to all a good afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment